You may cancel for a full refund if you are canceling more than 72 hours in advance of the class, or you may reschedule for a $10 fee between 72 and 24 hours in advance of the class. Classes are non-refundable within 24 hours of the class. The 72 hour window gives SGC the opportunity to contact customers that have been placed on a waitlist for the courses.
Learn the basics of orienteering with a map and compass while boosting your confidence in traveling off the beaten path. We will cover compass use, Magnetic declination, topographic map reading, pacing, walking a straight line in the wilds, following a bearing, how to select and use a GPS unit, and barehanded navigation using celestial aids.
- Reading a Topographic Map
- Adjusting and Shooting a Bearing on a Compass
- Compensating for Magnetic Declination
- Using Handrails, Backstops, and Pacing
- Programming a GPS
- How to Use the Sun & Moon for Navigation
- Silva or Suunto Baseplate Compass
- If you have a GPS bring it but it is not necessary to have one for the class
**No Loaded Firearms Allowed in Classroom**